Saturday, June 6, 2009

Who Do You Think I Am?

Twice today I was mistaken for someone else.

It happens ALL the time. All the time. I mean it. All. The. Time.

I have that face like Carol Burnett's that morphs into many types of people I think. Not true now that I really think of it. I have that type of face that is common and just looks like 100s of people.

I was waiting for the bus and this Indian guy with a mustache says to me, "Don't you recognize me?" I am well past my drinking in Hollywood days, so now I am honest. "Ah, no, sorry I don't." "C'mon! You REALLY don't recognize me?"

He is either going to stab me, hug me or ask if he left his watch.

He works at a liquor store and I am apparently a rep for some big liquor company. I had to tell the guy sorry that is not me. If only he knew how funny that was.

Then tonight I am at the ballet at Lincoln Center and we are all leaving. I am in in the elevator. Normally I would walk down the stairs but I am crippled from all my gym classes and the unemployed person's loge is way the hell up there.

This older woman, very genial I might add, is with an even older woman and says to me in the crowded elevator, "Aren't you normally working?" I wanted to break into tears at the gut punch of my interpretation of what she said, but I quickly inferred that she thought I worked at Lincoln Center. The whole thing was embarrassing as I was unshaven, in these kind of chef's pants, wearing grey Converse and a black t-shirt. I was ashamed two-fold: 1. for my slovenliness at the ballet ("Hey, I was in the $20 seats and I tried to get into the more downtown Joyce Theatre for modern dance where they would "get me" but they only had partial view so I had to race uptown to get to the ballet.) and 2. I was dressed too "ironic" for my age and I knew it.

Well, she did not let go that we knew each other. Unless I had that "Samantha Who?" thing happen, I really do not know her. This didn't stop me from carrying on a whole discussion with my old gal pal about how great the Robbins piece was.

Not so bad to look like so many I guess.

No comments: