Thursday, June 18, 2009

Merchant's House Museum


Kurt, Jon, Pat in front of Merchant's House Museum.


Some fans of this blog tried to snap my photo without permission. I had to stop them. So embarrassing in front of visiting friends.

Jon, Kurt and I went to the Merchant's House Museum at 29th E. 4th Street. It was a perfect rainy day adventure as it was a RAINY. Did I mention rainy? It was Kurt's idea and I loved it. The house was built in 1832 and it was family occupied until Gertrude kicked the bucket in 1933. She and her sister made no changes so it was perserved in structure and in furniture. Wow.

It became a museum in 1936! I wonder if my dad went to see it when he was a kid, but I kinda doubt it.

The self-guided tour tried to walk you through what it was like to live in that place during that time. Both as a family member and as a servant. I got a good sense of it and the lady who ran it was really nice.

I want one of those pastry boxes that keeps rodents away!


I loved how they explained the help's duties and about calling cards. (I want both!!!)



After a grueling day of seeing what life was like before texting and DVR, we went to Cremcaffe on 2nd. Jon and I had "Recession Specials." Perfect rainy day pasta and excellent bread.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

Was that pomo fragmentation intentional? I want to know what you're describing, but it's tantalizing.

Did you know that Patrick McMurray (of the Patrick's you met) is on the board for this house? Always wanted to go there, but never made it. Too busy walking from Boiler Room to West Village on 4th over and over.