Saturday, June 20, 2009

1 Nantucket, 2 Patricks





Patrick and I flew up to Nantucket this morning from New York. It felt all very local east coast behaviour to me. We arrived on a beautiful day and checked in to our swell digs at the historic Jared Coffin House. I have to thank Patrick for this whole wonderful getaway and it is SO much appreciated. What fun to make this trip together.

Jared Coffin House on right.

Nantucket is beautiful, quiet and very New England-y, maritime-y. What vocabulary I have! Loads of shutters and shingles and dinghies and preppies.

We took a long walk around the island to get a feel. It is spectacular. I felt as if I was in Sunset Magazine of the East. (I am sure there is a real name for a privileged east coast easy-living periodical.)



We had lunch at Cys. Delicious lobster rolls so fresh they up and clawed you. And an excellent waitress who didn't. Anne Meara and Jerry Stiller were sitting nearby.


We walked some more after lunch and saw Meg Ryan ducking into a wine shop.

One of the coolest things was my brother called me on the mobile and said that he was standing in front of Old Faithful in Yellowstone as it was going off and here I was looking out onto the Atlantic from Nantucket.



In the evening we went to the MOST AMAZING restaurant. The Straight Wharf Restaurant. Wow. We just walked in and they took us. It is one of those dining rooms where there feels like magic in the room. It was softly, yet twinkly, lit and looks out on a dark, but beautiful harbor. The table was set with an elegant hurricane lamp and the mild sea of them throughout created this magical glow. OMG, it was wonderful. The food was excellent as was the service. I loved my Spring asparagus salad and lobster clam bake. Patrick and I split a strawberry-rhubarb tart. Lovely.



And the diners were so New England to me. At the risk of sounding like a Jethro..."gol-leee!" It was wonderful.

No comments: