Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ellie's Bench


I spent a wonderful Sunday afternoon with my friend Ellie today in the middle of Manhattan. We had a lot on the agenda including church, lunch and a performance of Knickerbocker Holiday at the York Theater.

But it is often the impromptu moments that truly make the memory.

Since we had time we took a wee detour to Central Park to see "Ellie's bench" which happily looks out onto the Model Boat Pond by the entrance at East 72nd Street. Ellie dedicated a bench to all the beloved people in her family. And she goes there every day to sit. What a lovely thought!

She often talked about it and where it was, but I had never seen it.

Why not take advantage of being with the perfect tour guide for the occasion?

It was a beautiful day and as we descended upon the Conservatory Water (as it is officially known since the initial Olmstead plans were to build a conservatory on this spot.) I felt this wonderful "Eloise in New York" feeling. Mixed with "OMG, I am in Paris!" (It was modeled after a similar pond in the Jardin du Luxembourg and the whole setting feels like you are in a Seurat painting)

So French there is even a nearby mime!

AHOY. There was her amazing bench in this stunning part of Central Park. We happily posed for photos and just enjoyed the day, the moment, the sunshine all from the vantage point of Ellie's wonderful bench.

Ellie on her bench.

I have to say I love the idea that I now know a perfect place in the park that I can sit and know I am taken care of. It is a special place and I can tell why she chose this location.



Pat and Ellie pondside. Like they have done for years. Ellie told me her dad used to sail model boats here before they were electronically powered. A man had to stand in the middle of the pond and skoosh them back to the kids!



(kind if a funny photoshoot, pre-crop snap complete with garbage bags and unidentified lady with a cane!)

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

So great---really beautiful. I was thinking of Seurat before I read further, so it's even comes through in the photos. How lovely.