Thursday, June 4, 2009

Aimee Viles




There are times in your day to day quest to get New York to fall in love with you that you just need to be taken to lunch and inspired by a really great person whom you've never met before.

Today I had this with Aimee Viles, the VP of Emerging Media at BRAVO whom I got kindly introduced through my BAFTA colleague and BRAVO's SVP of Program Strategy and Acquisitions, Jerry Leo. She was SO nice and smart and engaging. And I don't just say that because I may send her the link to this! It is true.

(Both that she is nice and smart AND that I may send her this link...)

I wanted to meet her and talk to her about my interest in moving into on-line and mobile from straight television. I was very inspired and encouraged by what she had to say. She gave me some good ideas and repeated what I thought was my very own original mantra: "You never know!"

She knows her stuff both on the creative front and on the technical end. We found that we both had worked in the UK and on the West Coast. She at Vodafone in England and in Portland, OR for this really interesting company Ensequence as well as doing time in media in Los Angeles.

Her new home at BRAVO is so perfect as I can think of no cable network better suited to the all-out incorporation of on-line and mobile engagement. They are just experts at it.




Aimee took me to this restaurant in the Rockefeller Center area that I don't think many people know about since it is obscurely nestled in a Sports Club/LA facility. It is called "Pulse," which I guess being in a gym is an apt name and "Heart Rate" would be too off-putting. Even though their dessert menu had that eye-of-newt-soaked-in-a-honey-infused-bath-with-mango-foam vibe, the lunch menu was healthy and simple. I recommend this tucked away place for a quiet bite with a friend or colleague to escape the craziness of midtown or simply if you are having an affair.

(Secret entrance to left of this photo.)

Aimee respectfully did not want her photo taken so here is the closest representation of our meeting at Rockefeller Center: