Sunday, June 14, 2009

Monaghan Pipe Band and the ALS Walk

The boys of the Monaghan. There's your calender!! (Byrne, Kevin, Dan, Pat, (Phoenix), Paul, Ed)

Today I went to Yonkers - which I know of because 1. It was where Horace Vandergelder lived in "Hello Dolly" and 2. because it was where my aunt and uncle lived when they first came from Scotland to the US.

Today it was Tibbetts Brook Park in Yonkers to play with the Monaghan Pipe Band at the ALS Walk. There I met the magnanimous Pete Duffy, the man who reassembled the band. He no longer plays as he has been stricken with ALS. We came to play for him and even before meeting Pete I could tell from the guys in the band that it would be an honor. And it was.

What a great day. And a great cause of course. It put my own issues in some perspective.

Afterwards a bunch of us went with the Duffy family to Rory Dolan's in the Bronx. One of those central casting Irish pub/sports bar/restaurants that you know the people you grew up with will be at. It is always a good time and good craic with the guys, especially hearing about Kevin's night out or anything that Dan has to say. There is a Kevin and a Dan (and a Pat) in every band I have been in and the spirit and comeraderie is one of the big selling points of playing pipes for me.

Today I was blessed.

Pete and his boys. (Brian, Kevin, Pete, Eddie, Tommy, Kenny)

Playing for Pete in the pub.

No comments: