Tuesday, June 9, 2009

ME! Me!! Oh my God, Me!!!!

iphone photo, but you get the idea.

My one big regret that I didn't achieve before leaving Los Angeles besides buy a house, get married, have abs of steel and go to the redone Getty in Malibu was perform at Sit & Spin. This is at the Hudson Theatre in Hollywood and selected writers get up and perform their written pieces to a live audience and there is a jazz combo playing between pieces. It is the ultimate of arty, geeky cool. And it is free. If you are in Los Angeles, go. It is great theatre.

Certainly New York has something similar?

My friend Michael suggested I check out The Moth. It is live storytelling. Not written, but there is a topic and tonight's was "WHEELS." ( I would have told the story about my false arrest for Grand Theft Auto.) You can put your name in a hat and if you get called you go up and tell a TRUE story for 5 minutes and then three groups of judges give you those Olympic-score style ratings which are put up on a board. In front of everyone. Horrible!

I loved it!!! and totally want to do this.

Tonight's Moth was at The Nuyorican Poets Cafe in the East Village. It was a great space and when I arrived it was SRO. I was so lit up by the experience that I wanted to talk to strangers and wear a jaunty cap. There is a stand up MC which sounds horrible, but this woman was excellent. I wish I knew her name so I could promote her. So funny and off the cuff. For $7 it was the greatest value I have had in a long time here in NYC. What a hoot. I am hooked. Watch this space as I am going in!

1 comment:

eve said...

Let me know when you do (especially if it's at the Nuyorican)...I love the Moth and volunteered with them ages ago.