Friday, June 12, 2009

Princeton, New Jersey - Brain Detour

I decided to take the day off the pavement pounding and get out of Dodge, NY. I went to Princeton, En Jay on the train to see a friend in a play. The play was at 8, but I got there at noon so I could see the campus and the town and TREES!

What a fantastic retreat it was from the sirens inside and outside of my head that I have in Manhattan daily looking for work. I think it was a good idea to just have a wee break.

Princeton is fantastic. An Ivy League macaroon tousled in greenery, history and stone.

I took the campus tour and loved it.

The original entrance to campus

Nassau Hall. The original building on campus and the in 1783 was the temporary capitol of the United States. It survived a cannon ball attack ordered by George Washington which resulted (legend has it) in the beheading of Kind George's head in the original of this painting which hangs inside.

George III. Head in place.

Our excellent tour guide. She is majoring in some difficult to pronounce science and she is pre-med and speaks 10, 000 languages, but has time to badminton and board games with friends. If she wasn't such a peach, I would have hated her.

It was well-noted by me that I was the same age as the parents on the tour bringing their almost college-aged kids for a look see. I forget this. Often. Bald spot in photo is not mine.

One of two lions on front steps of Nassau Hall donated by Woodrow Wilson's class of 1879. Some sports writer in the 1800's got it wrong that these were tigers since the colors of the school are black and orange - derived from the colors of King William of Orange and Nassau. It stuck. They are the Princeton Tigers, but these are lions.


Some of the wars that some of the students at Princeton fought in including the Revolutionary one.

Princeton has the 3rd largest university chapel in the world after Notre Dame in Indiana and Cambridge in England. MLK, Jr. spoke here in 1960.

Campus beauty.

Mrs. Woodrow Wilson started or improved this garden.



Behind the wall with no windows is where Einstein gave his lectures.

Einstein's house at 112 Mercer Street. They have taken the number off because it is private and the understandably don't want eager tourists like me snapping away in front. Even though I only have a UCLA degree I managed to research and find it.

No comments: