Sunday, May 17, 2009

Tea & Sympathy New York

Frank, Sean and Pat. West Village urchins.

Lately, I have needed tea and I have needed sympathy and today I got both.

Sean spotted 4 open seats at this very popular West Village brunch spot. It is a British restaurant which you would think would suggest plenty of availability, but they (the Brits) do breakfast like no others.

Tea & Sympathy evokes all those cloyingly awful descriptors: quaint, cozy, charming - but in the most wonderful deserved way.

This place is a KEEPER. Like I wrote about Kefi the other day, I will keep this place on my list of really wonderful New York dining spots. I had "The Full Monty" (naff name I have to say) breakfast which was eggs, sausage, bacon (the British kind) and tomahhhhto and MOST EXCELLENT 7 grain toast. And fresh-squeezed OJ. And the Earl Grey tea was wonderful. $14.40 all in which sadly is a really good price.


Everything I had was wonderful. And I tasted the scones (we always pronounced them "skawns" growing up, but most Americans say "skOHns" which I have a hard time hearing for some reason. Get over it, I know.) They were really the real deal. Wonderful.

My dear old Scottish mum would never order tea out because she said they didn't know how to make it properly and she would be right, but here they do and it was a cure-all for me. I am still thinking about it.


Frank and Pat. One stuffing. One staring.

The best thing of all was I had brunch with Frank, Pat and Sean. I felt like it had been so long since the 4 of us had seen each other and it was a fitting and wonderful reunion. We were right back and had a great time. I value my time with them and when the backdrop is a place like this it is like an old familiar doily.

Huh?

Sean being all Ruth Reichl

1 comment:

Lexa said...

Did they have the clotted cream with the scones? Say whatever you want about British cuisine, but those guys know how to do breakfast.