Monday, May 11, 2009

Nelson Aspen


My international bon vivant and entertainment journalist friend Nelson Aspen was in town for a book signing at Borders at the Time Warner Center tonight.

His latest book is called "
Nelson Aspen Hollywood Insider Exposed!: Secrets, Stars & Showbiz."

Like all true New Yorkers (I am claiming it!) I was booked (no pun) back to back with events this night and planned on greeting Nelson at Borders and then off to dim sum with him. I did not arrive at his signing until after the red carpet was rolled up and he had split to dim sum destination undisclosed to me. I e-mailed our mutual friend Alexandra in London to get his cell number, but realized she would be fast asleep.

Don't international bon vivant entertainment journalist friends read e-mail constantly? Maybe they do! (Ouch. )

Anyway, he told me he has gone bi.....coastal and has a place here now so I hope to see him more often. He is a really fascinating, accomplished nice guy and I wish him great success with his latest book.
**************

Nelson and Scotland

I do have to tell this one story about Nelson that I just love. I was in Scotland with the Prince Charles Pipe Band of San Francisco to compete in the World Pipe Band Championships. We stayed in the dorms at Glasgow Uni. On the breakfast telly as we were having our breakie was Nelson reporting from Hollywood. Like the good ponce I am, I said, "OMG, that is my friend Nelson!" He reports for ITV there as well as other outlets worldwide.

No one believed me.

I e-mailed Nelson and told him. He e-mailed me back, "Tell them to watch tomorrow and I will get the word 'bagpipes' into the broadcast."

I told them all this as proof and sure enough the next morning as we were ironing our shirts for the contest, there was Nelson reporting on movie stars from Tinseltown and he said, "Tell them to blow it our your bagpipes!"

Whatta guy!

No comments: