Friday, May 29, 2009

East Village

Brian and I picked the East Village of Manhattan as our touring destination for the day. What a fantastic place. At night it can be overrun with young clubbing hipsters. I have seen it. It is like Night of the Living Sort of Living. They travel in swarms. But during the day it still possesses this old world charm mixed with emerging coolness.


Our first turn was into Surma this amazing Ukrainian shop that has been around since 1918. I had good chat with the grandson about why Ukrainians are so into honey ("It is like tomato sauce is to Italians, " he said. And then I had a sickening feeling of going to the Ukraine and having honey slopped on everything I ate.). Meanwhile Brian bought egg dyes. They are heavy into the Egg as symbol of life, etc. I hope they, the Ukrainians, don't think they have cornered the market on that notion. Just loved the place. If I ever need a Ukrainian peasant outfit I need look no further.




Next door was McSorley's Old Ale House. Been in that spot since 1854. I imagine they called it simply McSorley's Ale House back then. Abe Lincoln had a drink here, but not his wife, since women were not allowed until the 1970's. I went there in the 1980s and it is pretty much the same: wood, sawdust on the floor, the smell of hops and barley. Very cool to see something that just keeps going.

Check Spelling
Across the street we saw a Ukrainian church blocked by a beer van. I felt it symbolized something. Not sure what exactly.



We had a bite at a newer establishment down East 7th called Porchetta. Get ready for the F word: Fabulous pork sandwiches on excellent fresh bread. We split one and loved, loved it.






I am a bad food photographer, but at least I could have taken this before I took a bite!

Well, I guess I should have called this blog entry "East 7th" and not "East Village" since all I talked about and photographed was on this one street.

But we did manage to Tompkins Square Park and down 6th past the shuttered OG Restaurant where my friends Ron and Jay used to hold court and work. We also walked around the Public Theatre just below Astor Place on Lafayette. Loved the space. Must go there.

Great place, the East Village. Will go back. Before 11pm.

No comments: