Tuesday, May 12, 2009

George Moscone


I got my high school alumni magazine the other day, Genesis V, and read through it as I usually do, looking especially for what my classmates are up to. The class of 1980 rarely posts. We are either an unaccomplished or modest bunch!

There was a piece in there entitled "Chris & Jon Moscone Reflect on Their Father’s Legacy." I read this interview and was really, really moved. In fact it has stayed with me since I read it.

I was in the same class as Chris and was in plays with Jon. We were not especially close, but they were both always nice guys. I remember that much.

I also remember their dad, the mayor of San Francisco, George Moscone, when he would come to father/son dinners. And I remember saying hello to Jon in the stairwell between classes just before 4th period where we would all hear that our mayor and their dad, George Moscone, was dead.

The loss of one's dad at that age and through murder has got to leave such a gigantic void. A crater. In the article they spoke so lovingly and respectfully of their father. I was oddly proud of them both.

My sister called me last October and told me Chris just lost his 13 year son, Owen, to cancer. Both his dad and his son are gone. And Jon has lost his nephew. And all that is oddly and frustratingly life. I am reminded of this when I feel robbed and want my own parents back on this earth.

I think I am in a contemplative mood after seeing "Our Town" last week and reading this excellent interview by Paul Totah.

I wish both Chris and Jon well.

I think I will go about my day and be grateful.

No comments: