Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Soaks and the City

Glamour Doused

After uptown working and pilates and general festering, I went downtown to the Meatpacking District, home of cobblestone streets and $700 t-shirts for back to back "industry" parties. First it was to Florent which will sadly be shuttering its doors soon due to uber jack in the lease. The Board of Directors party for Newfest was there. What a great time. One (me) worries at these things that I will just stand against the wall immobile like a the map of Australia on a wall of a map store and fade away (note to self: work on analogies), but I saw some people I knew, met new ones and just generally had a great time until they kicked us out to open the doors to paying diners.


Fenton Bailey and I at Newfest Party at Florent. Glass behind my right arm plummets to its death right after photo was snapped.

I had an hour to kill until more glamour so I chatted on my iphone on some lovingly placed concrete slabs in the quad of the District at 13th and Gansevoort. Excellent. Talked to no one, just left messages, but BOY did I look the part doing it.

Met Heidi and we went to a mobile phone event/party at Soho House. It was in the Library. With a Knife. We managed to talk our way onto the roof where the pool is (and, I guess, the cool people). It was very much like (what I am used to in?) LA so I was not impressed, but I can see that it was nifty.

Okay, if you don't do something or are not interested in something or don't think about something DON'T think there isn't a convention or a party or a publication or even bloggers that are TOTALLY into that. This party at Soho House was all mobile phone industry people here for the MMA (Mobile Marketing Association) convention. What must it be like for mobile phone people to have to actually talk in person? Well, I have to say they were all pretty nice. High energy, frantic, but nice.

Heidi and I were just leaving and one could tell there was a STORM a brewin' We were headed for the subway when God's wrath over Gay Marriage just unleashed above us. There was thunder. There was lightening. Then there was a HUGE ASS downpour that did not relent. Once your H & M briefs (shhh, it's the only thing I can buy there) are soaked you may as well keep going. Had this been a romantic movie, the two of us walking soaked in the rain while all the extras remained under awnings, would have been pretty cool, but it was not and we were wringing wet on the ride home.


My soaked clothes. The wet part on the trousers is the front. Shirt has at least 2 pint glasses of water in it. Sean, does this count as putting another photo of myself in my blog?

All in all another great adventure in New York City.

No comments: