Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Hey, Mister, didn't you used ta...?

Okay, this is so random and that is my life and I love it.

I was walking home through the park and then by the Museum of Natural History. I was a block from my house. This guy in a suit walks by and I just stare at him and let him go. The old-fashioned data processor in my head woke up the hamster who got on the wheel and started going through the paper files I keep up there and I realized that was Marc from the YMCA in Hollywood, California! On my block in New York flippin' City. In a suit. With a mission.

So I runs up to him and stop him and he almost falls over. We always saw each other in the locker room in Hollywood for about 12 years! I remember when his wife gave birth to a baby girl. She is nine now!

I saw pictures of her on his camera phone! By the Museum of Natural History in New York City.

What a great guy. I know he works with Russians and oil. He is an orthodox Jew. We couldn't be more different and we have always been great Y acquaintances. We exchanged numbers and I will have coffee with him before he leaves.

Small world is New York City's middle name. I get that part. It does make more sense to run into someone in New York City than in Des Moines. I know that, but it also requires that you be on the same block, on the same side of the street at the same time and one of you has to see the other and your hamsters have to be working at full speed.

Therein lies the miracle.

No comments: