Saturday, June 28, 2008

Simple Joys

This morning I was supposed to have band practice, but sadly it got cancelled. I found myself with free time. I have no idea why, but I rarely have it. This is what I have been waiting for and fearing. It is odd, but if I am scheduled up I can function, but with free time I combust because I feel it has to "count" in a magical AND productive way and I have no idea what could possibly make it count enough. Plus I have permission issues and it is a whole thing. This is a bad example, but with no plans I could go to the Bronx Zoo or somewhere in New Jersey, but no one has told me that could be okay. It is really "one for the couch," this issue.

I did manage to have coffee and cereal with fresh fruit on the terrace before heading out the park to read my book. This became my Bronx Zoo as I thought it was clear I needed to do something that DIDN'T count: something simple. It was a lovely day in New York City and I sat on the grass and read as people have done for 100s of years. It was so truly simple and perfect. I then took a really good yoga class.

Tonight I went to see "Wall E" with Sean and had Japanese beforehand at this really nice find of a place on Broadway. Later we had ice cream off one of the 100s of Mr. Softee vans that dot the city this time of year.

If I didn't analyze it or try to think of how it would have been all that much better if it had taken place in Paris and I had a 34 waist and owned my place, I would have to say it was a perfect day.

No comments: