Friday, July 3, 2009

Shakespeare in the Park

Here's the deal (and it was a good one for me!). Ron got up at 4:30am and waited in line from 6am on to get tickets to hot production of "Twelfth Night" in Central Park starring Anne Hathaway, Audra McDonald, Raul Esparza and Julie White while I slept and then spent the day at Governors Island with Sue. Pretty good, eh?

(full disclosure so I don't come across like a user - I had these plans previously and Ron was cool about doing it. )



WOWEEEEEE!! What a FANTASTIC production. It was just so wonderful and magical and moving and well-directed, acted, costumed, set and sung and lit and well, everything. As Shakespeare goes, this tale of mistaken identity is an old chestnut, but I cried and was so thoroughly moved anew by it all. It was a celebration of living! Anne and Audra were wonderful. Anne Hathaway definitely is a star, but you could really tell she felt part of this ensemble and couldn't help her radiance. (I struggle with this myself!) And Audra just beamed.

This photo by (amazingly, blazingly talented photog) Briggitte Lacombe for The New Yorker totally sums it up.

There were even border pipes played in the show.

The set was a green Utopian idyll that undulated like a pee wee golf course, and totally worked for all the antics that took place.

I left moved and thrilled.

Thank you Ron. (And this does not EVEN including taking me with his car to Trader Joes to stock up on provisions for living beforehand. - those without cars know what I mean! I owe you Ron!)

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

I'm green. GREEN! Why can't I just travel around the world and watch theater? I hear that Kristin Scott Thomas and Leslie Caron are starring in "A Little Night Music" in Paris. Sigh.