Sunday, July 19, 2009

Frank & Teddy Stand in Front of Their Car


Met Frank and Teddy today in the West Village. I had my camera and seemed to want to take a photo of them. This photo of them. I am not sure why, but I wanted something for no reason; I wanted something ordinary. No backdrop of flowers or a fountain or a cool storefront. Not just now.

Most photos are taken for specific reasons usually to commemorate something like a birthday or a vacation. Rarely do you see photos of your parents as kids beyond the studio shot or the first communion photo. Or the day they got married.

Many photos are "here is me" photos- Here is me in front of the Eiffel Tower or Here is me hugging a dolphin. We need to stake our claim on top of our own mountains of achievement or have an association, an "I was there." I get that and have loads of photos to prove it, or myself. Fine and good and I look forward to more.

But "here is me" the day that Teddy got a haircut and Frank was just meeting up with him, those moments, most important, are rarely captured. Life goes so fast and things change so quickly, and this is how they were today in what will soon be dated clothes in front of a dated car on a street with dated bank awnings and perhaps dated buildings. But in this moment at the time it was captured things were fresh, it was a beautiful day and life was good.

"Gosh do you remember that day I had paint samples in the back of the car and we were going to look for carpet for the bedroom? Gosh, that was 30 years ago. Wow. Do you still have that watch?"


No comments: