Saturday, October 4, 2008

Wedding - After 26 Years of "Dating" or is it Waiting?




This morning I woke up alone in my Tiki love shack and padded to the main house in search of coffee and the grooms. They were up and at it and ready to go. No jitters here.

We packed the car and headed down the the beach to set up glass suns, put out sunflowers on each chair, plant bamboo poles in sand, etc.

There was a cocktail party pre-wedding at the restaurant on the beach. All the guests funnelled in and it was a mini-reunion for me. I was so wrapped up in seeing people I forgot to document many of them photographically! Argggh. My old salon buddies: Joel, Stephen, and Bruce were there. It was so much fun to see them. We yakked on every topic under the sun (today's theme) once a month for 5 years. Great guys. I also saw Sandy and Tom whom I adore. And Robin and Betty from the theatre and Yolanda. The day before I finally met Greg's sister Dana and George's sister Lindsey.



Best Men. Two sisters in right of photo.


Kevin and I had to give our best man greetings (A greeting, not a welcome, I was told) and it went off perfectly. The whole event was excellent and the rain stayed away for the most part to allow the lads to have their ceremony dry on the sand.


Me giving my "greeting."


I have to say seeing Greg and George bound down the aisle was a thing of joy. I cried. I cried for most of the ceremony and even down the aisle. I cried like when I saw "Billy Elliot" in Burbank and I was still crying in the street outside the cinema. I think everything means more after 35. That is my theory. And I am well past 35 so I should know!



The happy couple on the way to get hitched!


We proceeded back to the house from the beach en masse, en pied carrying sunflowers, bamboo poles and glass suns. It had a pagan celebration meets Survivor tone to it and no one passing on foot or auto could miss that a happy event took place.

Married at last!
Chris and John - Married Sept. 12th. After 9 years of "dating."

The reception was back at the house and it was wonderful: the food, the decor, the chat, the celebration.

My new BFFs, Lynn and Mark. They came out to the wedding from Boston and we just hit it off. We never met before and I liked them instantly. Mark (along with sage, permanent personal lifestyle advisor Sandy, gave me some great advice that I actually used straight away and it made me mildly less insane for a few hours. Thanks Mark and Sandy! ) Since one can go to three states in 5 minutes on the East Coast I hope I can borrow sugar from them sometime. (Sugar, not coffee, since Lynn hates coffee. I am still trying to accept that. "Sandy and Mark, I need more advice STAT!")


The old Upper West Side Gang. A ruthless bunch. There needs to be a bubble over Greg's head. What would it say?

I am still overwhelmed thinking about what a great day it was. And I was there. And I witnessed (as it was my job!) two men legally wed. As it should be.


No comments: