Thursday, October 2, 2008

Vote NO on Prop 8


Today I leave the comfort and safety of Manhattan for Long Beach, CA. I am planning to blog on the road. My goal is to be able to blog from my iphone and add photos from there as well. Certainly there is a way, but I have not seen the app of my eye that makes this straightforward and easy. Some people invent apps and other use them. Sadly I fall into the latter. I am a user.

I guess what I am wanting is to twitter and attach photos.

Going out West to attend my dear friends Greg and George's wedding. I am one of the best men. This is all very blog worthy: Man comes out from New York to stand barefoot on California beach to witness marriage after 26 years of dating due to legal issues which can be taken away in a month's time thanks to Proposition 8. Unlike "Flash of Genius" from a previous post, this has some meat. I need to cover this and document it with photos! This is my challenge, dear reader. I will not let you 5 people down!

Took the subway to JFK. This is all of $7 as opposed to $50+ dollars if I take a cab. Genius, really. And this no-income family needs to save.

I flew Jet Blue from JFK to Long Beach. I had never been on Jet Blue before and it was really fantastic. Comfortable seating with good legroom. Courteous staff. It all worked for me. And I had cable TV which enabled me to watch the whole Biden/Palin debate that I thought I would miss. Modern travel can be grand!

I will not get into the debate here except to say that hearing both sides say they emphatically are against gay people being able to marry just really stung. I am sorry, but it did. Yes, they want us second class folk to be able have all the rights, just at a separate water fountain. Makes my blood boil that this country is supposed to be about equality for all under the eyes of the law. Except when folk in power are squeamish, I guess.

So here I am now in Long Beach, CA to celebrate a union as I have done with so many other friends. I am happy to be here and proud to be a best man to Greg and George whom I love dearly. And the funny slash ridiculous thing is is if the proposition passes and marriage is only between a man and a woman in California come November, those gay couples who got married beforehand like Greg and George will be, are grandfathered in! So marriage is only between a man and a woman and a sprinkling of 100s of gay couples who did it before Nov. 4. Absurd.

2 comments:

Kelly Green said...

Neat blog. And I agree completely.

I really don't understand how some people being able to get married while others aren't is equal. The hypocracy and ignorance of this country baffles me.

Unknown said...

I completely agree. Prop 8 is silly, and even if people don't agree with it personally this is America! We should be able to do what we want, and that means that other can do it too.