Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Culture, Politics, Fashion: Life in New York

Two of the most important events of our lifetime occurred tonight: the final presidential debate between Obama and McCain and the final of Project Runway between Kenley, Korto and Leanne. An all-male debate and an all female Runway. Things could have been different in both arenas if Hillary and Jerrell had gotten through respectively. Her downfall was polarization, his was too much taffeta. The parallels and compare/contrasts between the two events are too rich and numerous to go into here, ie: Obama and Korto both have African roots, Kenley is Palin-snarky, Leanne makes waves/McCain is a Maverick...

Thank God it is a TIVO world where we are able to see both or it would have been too scary to have to accept where eyeballs went between the two programs on offer. All I can say is it SCREAMED for a merger where Project Runway finalists get to dress the debaters and America polls on content AND style! Think about it, we are already a declining world power and why don't we just spell it out that politics and art and reality TV are all one in the same, really.

But first...my friend Sarah invited me to come all the way to Brooklyn to hear The Grand Street Community Band in concert. I am so, so glad I did. Sarah plays the clarinet and her husband David plays the Trombone in the band. How cool is that? I want them for parents! I thoroughly enjoyed the concert and hope more people will come to their next one in December. I especially loved "Prelude, Siciliano and Rondo" by Malcolm Arnold and "October" by a very young composer, Eric Whitacre. I say that because it makes me sound like I have an opinion on classical music.

The Grand Street Community Band at play

Soloist

Being in that hall listening to this all-volunteer orchestra made me realize that this is what makes the world go round. This is actually important: the fact that people do this stuff. THIS is the stuff. Once we lose community concerts, theatre, little league, bagpipe bands (!) and art classes at the Y, it is all over. I say this because it makes me sound thoughtful, civic and compassionate.
Tried to capture the shiny silver shoes, but iphone camera was not up to their brilliance

Sarah and I air kissed after the concert as one would and she and David invited me and clarinet #3, Miranda, back to their house for Taco Night. The name is based on what they were serving, of course, and they made it sound all official, but this was the first time they ever did it. We got to hunker down with excellent tacos (hard shell with soft shell mortared to the outside with guacamole, Ymmm) and watch the debates AND Project Runway in HD! Sarah served freshly-baked black cat sugar cookies for afters. She made and served and hosted the whole event in a simple black concert dressed. Not sure who designed it. Didn't ask. It was a great night and I am so, so glad I went.

I do have to plug that Sarah is an excellent writer and very quick on the wit. She has a blog which I link to on mine called So Ricarded with Ricard being her last night. I hope this plug shames her into writing more as it has been ages since she has had anything to say. Blogwise.

2 comments:

Criticlasm said...

Eric Whitacre (if it's the same guy) is also super handsome, and has written for the gay chorus. His soprano wife is gorgeous, too. And so is his music. Sigh.

Tony Westbrook said...

Sounds like a FUN festive evening!
And YUMMY too!
I think Kyoto should have won...but Leanne was consistent.