Wednesday, October 22, 2008

si-NEK-doh-kee, Nu York

"Welcome to the the 34th St. Loews and the BAFTA EC screening of Charlie Kaufman's new film "Synecdoche, New York." I'd like to..."

Wow, in writing I get that all out fine. But I have to SAY it in front of a theatre full of people since I am introducing the film tonight.

So all day was spent trying to pronounce it correctly. And get it to flow out of my mouth like m social security number. I don't want to be a horse's ass or appear like I don't know FILM! My God. Stand back. I worked at Sundance. Blah, blah, blah.

I had to look up the phonetic spelling on line and then try and try and try to make it part of my list of words I throw out everyday. Can you pass the synecdoche? I practice in the mirror, on Columbus (the street, not the man), in the subway. I was having a mental block and fear was seeping in. It was 4:30pm and I am still Eliza Doolittle from the beginning of the play. Blimey!

"As the sands of time ran down... The hour glass representing my lifespan" -- HEY!! A perfect example of, of ski-nek-toe-tee.

Bwaaaahhhhh!!!

Sin-Neck- Doh-DEE.

Arrgggghhhh.

Skin-eck-doh-kee!!

Waaaaaaahhhh!!

On top of the intro I was doing a Q & A with the producer, Anthony Bregman, and I certainly didn't want to screw up my pronunciation when he was there, though I am certain he is used to it.

My God, man, I get the take off on Schenectady, New York and that it stands for "the part for the whole, the whole for the part," but, still, what the hell?!!!!

Whatever you do do not think about the T in Schenectady when you are trying to say synecdoche. Don't! And DO not think about dead comedian Andy Kaufman when you want to talk about Charlie Kaufman. Don't do it. Or even Bergman, the filmmaker. Anthony's name is Breg-man. And the T is silent in his first name. F*ck.

"So Mr. Bergman, when Andy Kaufman approached you about this film and said it was going to called Skin-eck-doo-dee what was your first reaction?"

I am so effed.

Mr. Bregman could not have been nicer and told some great stories. I got the words out correctly and we had a lively Q & A. All went smoothly.

Bo-ring!

No comments: