Monday, October 27, 2008

Anti-Violence, Pro-Living Life.

Tonight I was a guest of my friend Jerry's at the Courage Awards put on by the Anti-Violence Project where he is a board member. They are so lucky to have him as he is just a great, great guy.

Just so you know what the organization's function is I print their mission statement:

The New York City Anti-Violence Project is dedicated to eliminating hate violence, sexual assault, stalking, and domestic violence in lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and HIV-affected communities through counseling, advocacy, organizing, and public education.

It is hard to talk about violence toward others and gift bags and beet/goat cheese salads and a champagne bar in the same breath, but this evening was wonderful, celebratory and really sent a strong message that violence towards the GLBT dot, dot, dot community is alive and thriving. Shocking really how people can hate that much. But then looking around at this election, I guess not really.

Alan Cumming was presented with the Courage Award and gave a really moving, impassioned speech. The Executive Director also spoke very well. Good speeches, good power point, and good chicken. Really, it was good chicken.

I got to hang with Jerry and my pal Sam and met some other really nice people. There was a dessert bar that was really hard to avoid. I got out with my life and one cannoli which I counted in my Weight Watchers points for the day. What a hit I took on that. (Funny to see how many dinner rolls were cast aside in a room full of carbo-fearful gay boys!)

The event was held at this great space call Espace on 42nd between 10th and 11th. I think it means "really, really far from the subway" in French. I loved the venue, however, because it has these levels and different lights and really lent itself well to mixing and mingling. And I love mixing and mingling. Even with seltzer water, my new drink of choice.

Gosh, I should scrap this whole entry as one can never hit the right tone reporting on a banquet when the purpose is to raise money and awareness for combating violence against others. Sorry if I offend, but I am glad I got to link to this worthy org.

No comments: