Saturday, October 18, 2008

Leaf Peeping Toms


We awoke late and Aris had coffee ready like he was a B & B master. Much appreciated. The dogs were up and I looked out at the Technicolor wonderland covered in light frost that I could not see in the black of night when we arrived. I know I love it here!


I took a wonderful shower and the three of us headed out for breakfast at the Black Cat Cafe. This is a wonderful place right across the street from the quaint American Hotel in Sharon Springs - a once great sulfur springs resort town 25 minutes from Albany. The food and baked goods were wonderful. John and Aris know the owners and their kids and we spent some time blethering about life over coffee with them. Fantastic place. Go there.


Driving through all the hills and dales and seeing all the different colors of Autumn was a thrill to this urban west coast boy. I know I have lived in NYC for a year now, but I have not really been out and up to see these magnificent colors. Stupendous in that fantastic so real and perfect it looks phony way. I don't mean to cheapen it at all because it is really one of the most beautiful things.

We drove to Willy's Farm and Cider Mill where they have chain saw wood carvings, a cornstalk maze, hay rides, and famous/delish apple donuts and hot apple cider. We bypassed all the activities and headed straight for the donuts and cider. It was all kind of wonderful eating and drinking apple goodness as we coasted through an orgy of yellow and green and red on our way back home.




And back in Cherry Valley we stopped at Rury's Food Store where I got to meet Mr. Rury, a WWII vet who keeps an old fashioned grocery with wooden shelves and hand cut bacon. I was back in time and that was fine by me. The next stop was Celtic import shop that had bagpipes! and bagpipe CDs. Who would think it? The woman who owns the shop is a piper and she knows people in my band!! I get "small world," but upstate NY small world for me? That is amazing.



Back home to greet the dogs and kick back.

"Leaf Peeping" as they call it, can be exhausting.

No comments: