Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Walk Not Spoiled.

After the window-rattling, thunder and lightening night that just passed, as if leaving the B & W tornado-torn Kansas I awoke to a dazzling OZ morning with glimmering ruby slippers on the feet of a crushed technicolor witch. Today was GLORIOUS in New York City. Yellow, ruby, emerald glorious.

As is my usual on Sundays I met friends in the Village for brunch, but due to the gloriousiosity of the day, I persuaded Pat and John to walk up the Hudson River Greenway part way before they would head East for home. I think they felt the spirit too as "we were living our lives in the City." A feeling, when I have it and I have it often, is never a waste or foolish.

Along the way Pat pointed out the hotel where the survivors of the Titanic stayed. NOT audience members from the original Broadway production, but the ship. Wow. We even saw a picture of the ship that took the survivors into the New York City. We are so only leasing this land, people, there were so many others before us. Wow.

John pointed out, well, he didn't exactly point it out because it is MASSIVE and right in front of you, the aircraft carrier the USS Intrepid. But he did splain me all about it. I was impressed with the carrier and with John. This hunk of steel, sorry not you John, was in WWII, Vietnam and later collected spacecraft when they landed.back on planet Earth. How many of us can say that? She will now be a museum right here where I found her.




John and Pat parted and I headed north to the UWS on what I think is one of the loveliest stretches of the parkway. (Let me leave you for a moment to shout into a paper bag "I LIVE HERE!! OMG! I AM SO HAPPY.) Back. People were biking, strolling, and lovers were doing whatever that thing is that escapes me, and people were reading on benches looking out to the Hudson River. Kids were playing softball. And I was taking it all in for myself.



I did manage to sit with the rest and read my book while looking out at the Hudson. Between the page and the river, so many stories.
Photos cannot truly capture what I feel. It is as if I want to tell someone a secret and I cannot, but it is such good news I am about to burst. I feel that here. Now.

No comments: