Thursday, April 10, 2008

The Secret Place



The Secret Place


Last night M.E. took me to her Secret Place. This dame had talked about it for a while. I was flattered to be asked, but I don't trust broads ya see. What was up with this joint we were going to? (Actually I thought "Finally! What the hell took so long?!" ) With this, I followed those pins down the familiar streets of my last six months. But all got hazy and confusing when we climbed the steps. The neon was everywhere and then all went dark. I didn't know my left from my right. Had I been slipped a mickey or was my heal broken again? I entered.



The Door

This is one secret girl. Even her name is secret! M.E. (If you think traditional Catholic school girl name from the 50's you have nailed it, but I like her initials. She should be a mystery writer ala "Murder at the Secret Place" by M. E. Kuhlaseisen)



The Dame

As I tried to adjust my eyes to the lighting I thought back to when I went to Hawaii for the first time, about 40 years after the war. I thought it would be overrun with fast food joints and fancy flop houses. It was, but it was still possible to find paradise there amidst all that modern madness. This is the same for Manhattan. It is a crazy, loud, coming at you kinda place with not a lot of let up. I have found in my time here that there are pockets, moments where peace is found.
M.E.'s secret place was one. After closing the secret door behind me half expecting a big guy name Deutsch to clobber me on the head, I took it all in. It felt like going back in time to a private club from the 30's. We had the corner table with the perfect view to catch Kate or Bogie walking in for refresher. We chatted. We ate. She took me in with one eye and circled the room with the other. Secret-like. We had a good blether for a few hours. I felt okay. I felt at home in this swanky, sleepy club. We got up to leave. I got our coats from the coat check girl and slipped her a deuce. We left. M.E. disappeared into a cab like ice into lava and I walked into the night.
This is how I remember it. And I ain't tellin' any of yous or your henchmen where the Secret Place is so don't even try and get it out of me or you'll get a knuckle sandwich, ya hear!?
*************
Went to Whole Food afterwards and had my own mini "Overheard in New York" moment: Woman with cast on foot to guy in check out line: "I broke it doing Lion King."

No comments: