Sunday, April 6, 2008

I Was the Last Customer at the Cheyenne Diner


I feel so unentitled. I feel so goofy and embarrassed and random. I was the last customer EVER at the 68 year old Cheyenne Diner on 9th Ave. at 33rd Street. The Cheyenne is one of the last free standing authentic diners left in New York City and fell victim to a more lucrative (natch) real estate development that will go up on its gravesight.



I cannot go on about how many happy memories I used to have here. How I saw Jerry Lewis in the next booth, how the egg creams were my fave. Nothing. I never heard of the place until Sean told me today it was closing after he heard it on NPR this morning. I didn't even HEAR about it on my own steam.



So there was I thinking I was going to meet Sean there at 2pm and the owner's wife starts shutting the door of this 24 Hour diner for the first time. She told me that was it. They were closing. They were closed. No more. What?! But I was just... I am here waiting for.. I told her how I was waiting for a friend and I came here to have a meal and blah, blah, blah. I could even here the drone myself. I didn't even sound that sincere to me. I think I broke this poor gal even though I didn't mean to. She let me in, as if it were a Speak Easy and shut and locked the door behind me. That was it. When the waitress took my order she said "You are the last customer of the Cheyenne Diner." It almost sounds like an alias.



I was a part of a history that I had no connection to. Oh well. I am sure my story will change in a few years.
"Oh, I used to go there all the time. The Greek couple were so nice. And their daughter. I watched her grow up! I remember how many times I went there when I needed a burger and a chat. I haven't felt the same since the old girl left." That sort of thing. Watch this space.

It was sad seeing the staff crying and taking down old B & W photos of all the stars who ate there. This really was it. And I was there. I as the last... ME. IT IS ALL ABOUT ME AND MY CONNECTION TO THIS PIECE OF HISTORY. Would it be inappropriate to cry with them and ask for a hug? Would it be inappropriate to hand the owner's wife a Kleenex and then ask for free t-shirt?

1 comment:

Toonwriter James said...

It may seem odd for me to say but this is sad in an epic way. What a cool honor to "turn out the lights" on something that had been around for so long. Kind of reminds me of our last day at Fox Kids.