Friday, April 25, 2008

The Past, a Present



Fidelma has heatstroke and allows rare photo

Pat inspects the immigrant names wall

Our brilliant plan today was a quick hop down to Battery Park to go to Ellis Island and then I would go home to work and practice pipes while Fidelma went to the Met and then shopping. Then we would meet up in the evening to go to the theatre. Brilliant plan full of diversity, hope, balance, etc.

We did one thing.

We were told to get to Battery Park early if we wanted to get on the island of Ellis. We got there at 10:30am and it was 2.75 hours in the sun we waited to get on the boat. Going to see the Statue of Liberty up close and the tour of Ellis Island was well worth it, however. I think we both felt all the ghosts in the main hall on Ellis Island. So many, many people from so many countries came through here and helped to build and shape America. It is a humbling, awe-inspiring and a true patriotic experience. It makes me feel the USA is stronger than the regime in office presently trying to bring it down. I felt such a part of the immigrant experience in there. And in many ways I am. My mum came through New York to this country, but not through Ellis Island. I am not exactly sure why, but I think it had to do with that they were not using it for immigration right after the war.

We got back to the mainland around 6pm and up to the Times Square unable to get 2 seats together at the theatre. We were on our morning mission ALL DAY! Oh well, there is tomorrow. It was a great time together and so worth it.

Stay tuned.

No comments: