Monday, March 31, 2008

Go Blog, Young Man


My friend and colleague Fred Seibert of Frederator.com, NextNewNetworks.com and Channel Frederator once told me in a two hour meeting, "Go Blog." I went to Nickelodeon Studios in Burbank, CA to meet with him when he was out from New York. My most excellent pal Kevin Kolde who is a producer with Fred set this up. I thought that this would be for a job. I prayed it would be for a job. We talked for a bit and then he told me I should blog. No job, just blog.


I asked why. "Go Blog"

I asked how. "Go Blog."

I asked why again and where is the men's room. "Go blog and down hall to left."


Driving home I felt I had sold the cow and left with a few magic bullshit beans.



I did remember a few things from our meeting he told me:


1. Blog frequently if not every day.

2. Write briefly as people will read you more.

3. Have a photo, some sort of visual.

4. Most importantly have a POV. Become an expert on something like beans or cows. Be the Go to Cow Blogger.

I heeded very little of this, but I still think he is right.

When I was moving to New York I decided to take that as a reason to blog. I would blog about my move to New York. Not VERY POV at all. I am not an expert on moving to New York and staying here. Hey, maybe I am, I am still here!

I DO write every day. I do most always include a visual. I have no idea why I do it or where it will go, but it gets me writing and "publishing" every day and I like that. The exposure, I am not so sure about. I just have to know that what I post I would stand by to an employer, a friend, a workmate and a stranger. And the IRS, FBI, etc. And I do.

I do not stay brief. And perhaps I need to start another more POV blog to work on this.

When I was sitting in Fred's office he told me what a network tool it is too. He usually takes a photo of the people he meets and blogs about them and then they are part of his universe and he increases their "Googlability" He did mine: http://blog.nextnewnetworks.com/2007/05/16/patrick-connolly-in-the-house/

Except he changed the text and took out my VP credit. Fred, what are you thinking?!

Anyway, I thank him for telling me to "Go Blog." It has been good.

Yesterday's New York Times had an article entitled "Why Blog? Reason No. 92: Book Deal." I know the blog that sold. It was a POV blog, shortish with photos. It is called "Stuff White People Like" And is cringibly spot on.

So, Fred, thanks. I will do you proud one of these days, but I am in cyber action now and that can't be bad. And I love the fact that he will read this as I am certain he has his sites RSSd or Google Alerted or whatever is in Chapter 2 of all this that I don't know yet.

1 comment:

Jordan Sneakers said...

The new line is absolutely stunning! I have been so entertained by your blog,keep smiling and take care!