Friday, March 7, 2008

Ossi di Morti


Lunch at work is usually a cubicle affair and involves a salad or soup and some piece of fruit. And a wall. To stare at.


Today Cara, my gastro-workmate took me a on long walk to Sullivan Street Bakery on 47th Street between 10th and 11th. One would think it would be on Sullivan Street, but it is not. And one would think there would be a response to this on the site, but there is not. That I can find. If one were to dedicate one's life to Italian bread wouldn't one use an Italian, rather than Irish, name for the bakery if one did not originate on said Irish street? Maybe I need to investigate deeper.


cara Cara

Anyhow, we had a fantastic little field trip and ate amazing fennel pizza. Wow. Like the gelato I had in Philly, I am still thinking about the fennel pizza. It was that good. And to finish we had "Ossi di Morti" or "Bones of the Dead" cookies. Gotta love the Italians for such descriptive names for their pasta and cookies. The bones are light, meringue-like cookies with almonds. Really perfect. Very Sweeney Todd.

No comments: