Monday, March 10, 2008

Niece TBN


On a train in the Bronx heading for bagpipe band practice when I got a text that read: "Girl. Born March 10 @ 2:15pm; 9lbs. 7ozs; 21" " And that is how I found out my new niece had entered the world: precise, efficient, mobile. The message and, hopefully, the niece.



When I think about the adage "Everything old is new again" it is really true. The text is the new telegram. The new herald on the mountaintop. Texting almost jumps backwards over the modern telephone call to a banged out Morse Code that allows for information to be given quickly and without all the niceties that often clog the news and hold up the messenger. And I mean that in the nicest, most efficient way.



So today in the Kingdom of Oakland a new niece is born. This is exciting. I am very pleased with the other four nieces and nephews I have so this bodes well for a favorable relationship with #5. I call her that because as far as I know, she does not have a name yet. I wonder what our relationship will be like? Will she laugh at my jokes? Will she throw my presents? Will she have good penmanship? What will her favorite food be? Snow or water skiing?



I wish there were a one-size-fits-all gender-free name for nieces and nephews. Like people say "I have 5 kids," I have to say "I have 2 nephews and 3 nieces." I would prefer "I have 5 niephews."


Welcome, little #5!!! Welcome!!

No comments: