Thursday, March 20, 2008

In the Heights


Hilary and I went to see this musical last night called "In the Heights" at the Richard Rogers. First off I want to say I love seeing theatre in New York because the theatres are smaller and I feel more connected to the stage. This is a traditional Broadway theatre house AND it didn't hurt that we had excellent seats.

A Whole Lotta Great.

The star Lin-Manuel Miranda also wrote the music and lyrics. This is a 28 year old guy with a lotta talent I have to say. When I first heard the rap coming out of his mouth about life in the hood/barrio my candywrapper-crinkling fogey self thought "Homey ain't gonna like dis." It was great. Great energy, great use of musical styles, dance, etc. The set is great and I basically had a great time. Yes, some is predictable in that musical theatre "Okay she's got to die so he can live and he can't go anywhere because he has to be with her so we can exit feeling good" kind of way. But no matter. It was great.

And half way through as I was listening to the old woman belt out her show-stopping number alone on stage I thought, "Oh, my God! She's not old. I know her! That's Olga. We had lunch. I have been to her house!" I never tend to know Broadway stars. She is a friend of my friend Paul's and we met when we both went to see him in a show he was doing in New York.

As Hilary and I left we passed by the stage door and there she was signing autographs. We hugged and it was so cool.

To complete the total theatre thing, Hilary and I went for a drink at Joe Allen's where we saw Harry Belafonte come in the door after us.

A great night on the Great White Way and it was good to see Hispanics and new style enter the world of the musical theatre. Now to get the Scottish out of our Brigadoon phase.

No comments: