Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I Feel It in My CHEEEST

Jon and I went to see "Xanadu" on Broadway last night. A hoot and a holler and a hoot. It was that kind of show that if you give into the extreme inanity of the thing you just have the greatest time you have had in ages. The cast was top notch and played it for the yucks. As I was with the film, I remain in eternal disbelief.

I remember when I went with Lana and Eric to see some like 25 year Anniversary screening of the film, I was utterly gobsmacked at how a story about a Venice beach roller skating surf-dude artist who loses faith in himself and is rescued by a muse posing as an Australian exchange student in leg warmers could ever happen. But when you think about how hot disco and Olivia were back then, you know it was a market researcher's orgasm. All this and disco and Gene Kelly. Gene is replaced by Tony Roberts here, but this stage show pretty much fills that rollerskating disco need. It scratches that muse beach combo itch. Wow.
The title of this entry is from when Kira/Muse is kissed by Sonny Malone the hunky artist for the first time and says in her Australian accent disguise, "I feel it in my CHEEST." (chest. the kiss. She feels the sensation of the kiss in her chest.)

Afterwards we went to 44X for dinner. This place was almost as gay as the play we just saw with white walls, Miami beach white chairs and a load of men in suits whose wives must have all been out of town at the same time. Jon had the skate which we thought was a sign from Zeus. Get it?
"Skate > skating>Olivia in legwarmers>Xanadu?"
Full circle evening.

"Now that I'm here, now that you're near. In Xanadu...."

No comments: