Saturday, March 1, 2008

One Foot in the Moment




206.6 lbs /14.8 Stone

On the weekends it is important to do errands, spend time with friends, get some culture, exercise and make time for hobbies. My problem is if I don't do all of those things in one day my life is a total failure. At least this is how I act about it.




I woke late and scrambled out of bed. I had planned to write and have coffee before going to Weight Watchers, but there was barely time to have a shower and pray for an evacuation before weighing in. I made it to Weight Watchers and then went grocery shopping remembering to bring my reusable shopping bag made of recycled baby diapers and deodorant tops assembled by Aleutians to raise money to build a school to learn to be more like us. Then it was home for a cooked breakfast of egg whites, tomatoes and polenta and some spinach and loads of coffee. I quickly played something conducted by Bernstein on the i-pod stereo so I could feel calm and at home while I raced to get the place in order without burning the breakfast. Then it was pipe chanter practice in the house to learn the music for the band I joined and after off to the park to play bagpipes for a bit. A photographer wanted to take pictures of me (now who doesn't?) and she e-mailed them to me tonight. What kind of dangerous, crazy, insane town is this? I got back home and downed a clementine (they seem to eat these here more than I recall doing in California) and I raced down Broadway because the subway was shut to get to 55th and 9th in under 20 minutes so I could take the 3:30 Intro Horton dance class at Alvin Ailey. It was killer again and we did chassés AND pushups! Sort of gay bootcamp, I guess. I then had under 50 minutes to get to the Von Lintel Gallery in Chelsea to see the closing day (closing 30 minutes when I got there) of this exhibition of San Francisco photographer John Chiara. On the bus there I met this woman Patricia and her daughter Briana. Patricia worked for Ailey for many years and we had a great chat. Got to 25th Street and walked to 11th Ave. John Chiara works with his own hand built room-sized camera on wheels that is mounted on a flatbed trailer. Some cool images. But it was more fun for me to see the muted houses that remind me of home and have that "I can see where I graduated high school" moment in a New York Gallery all to myself. I left there and caught a model prancing for a photographer in another gallery. I am not sure if the New York art world is cool and hip or mockable. I guess a bit of both.




I caught the wrong end of her twirl. There is also a guy fanning her to give her a "breeze."
Caught up on phone calls on the way to the Village to watch a stoner movie "Smiley Face" with Sean and eat Chinese with the dog on my tummy. Bliss.



All in all a good day was had. I want to read this later when I have time so I can remember to enjoy what I did.

No comments: