Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Rainy Days and Mondays

7248 Steps

Normally rainy days and Mondays get one down. Especially coming right off a holiday weekend. But I love the rain and I got some rest and the whole darn thing was just okay. What I liked about work was everyone was into leaving each other alone and easing back into it all. I got a lot done.


Met my friend Sean after work at a theatre on 42nd Street for a screening of Savages, a domestic family drama that was quite good. Laura Linney, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Phillip Bosco and the director, Tamara Jenkins were there for the Q & A. My fave line was "Christ, we aren't in some sort of Sam Shepard play." When in fact, they kinda were. Sam was one of my idols in college.


But more like a Woody Allen movie, we went to a diner after the flick to talk about it over diner food. How New York! I loved it. (Sean had a small salad and egg whites. I opted for roast half chicken which I felt was still in keeping with my Weight Watchers program. It was sitting on a bed of stuffing. But I ignored the sour cream cozying up to the potato and did not eat the dinner roles. Not perfect, but I was okay.) We ate at the Westway Diner on 9th Ave. which had excellent service.
I wish we argued over the film more and maybe came to fisticuffs with a passing street intellectual who said "'Kinsey' sucked," but that only happens in New York movies, not in New York reality.
This film was about family relationships and the death of a father. Sean and I both had dads who were doctors and both died at 62. The coincidence, though not earth shattering, is worth noting only in that has some character development, BG info should I need it for later expansion.

The photos with the menus were to authenticate this genuine New York moment.