Friday, November 16, 2007

February 9, 1987 "One Block, A Tale of 2 Cities on W. 80th "



My landlord is so great, I can't believe I cut his head off. My pad, my neighbors.

4797 Steps

I was at work late, but it was so nice to be able to jump on the subway and go home after such an exhausting day. I was so tired I took my subway in the wrong direction! But home for a nice, relaxing...progressive dinner that all the neighbors of the Brownstone put on. Got home and my landlord John was setting up for our floor's contribution, the hors d'Ĺ“uvres. We hosted in my flat as it is so LOVELY! WHAT a lovely, lovely, fun wonderful, I am so blessed to be alive and living evening. All 7 adults and 3 kids gathered at mine and we toasted the evening. Then off to Lilly and her daughter Sarah's place on the 2nd floor. She owns the whole floor and it was a nice place to have the fruit and cheese course. Then down to Ed and Karen's wonderful place on the entire ground floor and entire garden floor and garden below to enjoy an amazing salad and lasagna. That woman can cook! I swear the evening was almost a designer showcase event.

The brownstone was built in the 1890s and all the wood is original. I was blown away by all the carved wood. They told me how much work they put into restoring the place. Dessert was up in Ryan and Jessica's two floor architectural showcase pad that was a mind blower. They had the roof rights and added a master suite and two decks up there. Massive place. Their sub zero appliances had to be craned in. In their entryway was a framed New York magazine article from 1987 that has "our" brownstone on the cover with a light dusting of snow. It was a Dickensian shot of Upper West Side life except the article was about how dangerous this one block was. Then. There were 3 or 4 murders on this one block and loads of crack addicts and doss houses. SO hard for me to believe with the Park and the museum and the strolling, pregnant yuppies and brunch places about. I was amazed.

Now I am in my cozy crack-free pad with quiet music and a bed that beckons and a weekend that has patches of quiet moments.

No comments: