Thursday, November 29, 2007

Central Park South

8322 Steps

I went to the dentist today. I wanted to get my cleaning in before year end. I looked for a dentist close by my work and on my insurance. I found a Dr. Berman on Central Park South in a manner that was just one step up from throwing a dart at a board of dentist's names. Not the best way to go, but I had a timing issue. When I went into the lobby of the building facing the park, it felt so posh in a retro way like going into 450 Sutter when I was a kid in San Francisco. It wasn't so posh inside the office. It was kind of depressing in that way that nothing had changed in 30 years. Like the tape on stuff was probably yellowing and decor was updated during Nixon. Just another dentist office with a real disinterested front desk girl and a too much personality lifer running the front office, but at least she made me feel welcome unlike the vacant girl.

I got cleaned by Igor. No joke. That was the dental hygienist's name. Igor. Dr. Von Berman came in after and I was shocked because he was old as dirt. I only say that because I Googled him and read his New York Times wedding announcement. I felt odd knowing all about his wife and parents. He is from Woodland Hills, CA. We didn't get to talk about that because he never asked me anything though he went on about how he thought he knew me. I told him that he didn't and that I have that face. Which is true. I have that face.


I was not surprised at all when he noticed the recession in my gums. I was waiting for it. But he wanted the periodontist to look at it and something told me that I should stop this. But I didn't. The periodontist provided that other shock. Well, not really. It is no longer a shock. He was my age. All doctors eventually are my age. He looked and said I needed some grafting in 3 areas and that they would take photos, etc. I decided to put the breaks on and said that I needed to know what costs I was looking at first. And something else told me that just by Dr. My Age entering the room and opening up my mouth like he was inspecting his horse- that the costs had already begun. WHY did I not say that I didn't want him to look at my mouth because I have shitty insurance and I would not pay out of pocket what they would propose so why don't we just give me a nice toothbrush in the color of my choosing and I will deal with recession when I am out of my personal financial one. But I didn't. They cut me a deal. It would be $1610 for 3 areas which is the cost of two. It would be a graft from the roof of my mouth and then he would shore up my gums. I told them I would pass for now and I had to pay $76 dollars just for that. Not a lot, but it was a waist of money because I knew I would not do what they proposed right now. What part of me let them do something that cost me money that I knew was not going to happen? One for the shrink, but she costs more that $76.

This morning I was walking by Lincoln Center and the sun was just coming up. The lighting at that time of the morning is really something. It almost seems private as so many people never see it. The trees by the Julliard School had their Christmas lights still on and it looked so beautiful. I stopped and took a photo. While construction workers were watching me. And businessmen. If I am willing to that, why am I not will to say NO PERIODONTIST TODAY PLEASE.

1 comment:

charlotte said...

Hey, Patrick! :D A friend of mine--also in NYC!--just had that receding-gum-top-of-the-mouth-skin-grafting procedure thingy done last month. Very painful, she said!!! Owie ow ow ow!!! I'll ask her now if she thinks it was worth it....

Unrelated to dental hygiene: Now that I've become a regular reader of your blog, you're making me want to move to NYC too! Sounds like you're having a blast there! :)

When Dwayne and I come to town for a visit, I fully intend to arrange a lunch with all of our NYC friends at the Algonquin. Heh.