Tuesday, November 13, 2007

2 Daze in One

I think I just skipped my first day on the blog since I started. That would have been yesterday. I got home and I could not get on line. And then I had NO time to type it at work today. Not even lunch hour since I worked through.

The good thing is these were two pretty similar days so I am going to package them as I would a block of programming on the channel. Mere bookends, if you will.

Here is the catchy theme:

Two Solid Days of Solid, Headache-inducing Work Followed by Screenings with Friends in the Neighborhood Where My Dad Grew Up & I Used to Live 23 Years Ago.

Yesterday I stared at my computer for HOURS feverishly scheduled into the system and answered phone calls and made excel documents and just KNEW I was sinking fast. There was so much to do, but I am now stable enough to know to just keep going and not freak. This is a major breakthrough. I also knew that I was coming in early the next morning in order to have a schedule to present to the GM at a 1:30pm meeting. I left and met my friend Hilary at Loews Cinema on E31st and 2nd. We saw "The Kite Runner." Both of us had read the book and felt it was an excellent adaptation. The casting was almost perfect and it really was a nice transfer to the screen. But was that REALLY Fremont, CA?! Afterwards we walked down 33rd Street between 1st and 2nd. This is where my dad grew up. When I was 19 he took me on this block and knocked on the door of his old apartment. An old lady answered and remembered him. We got to see where he and grandpa lived. My dad slept in the bedroom and my grandpa on the fold down couch in the living room. For years.


Today I got to work at 6:55am. It was in front of the building that I realized I had forgotten my ID badge! Now here was today's growth. Normally I would have festered in disbelief, if one can indeed fester in that. And I would have just gone off in my head how unfair the whole thing was since I am so far behind, etc. BUT. INSTEAD. I went back on the subway to my flat and got my badge and came back and went to work. 30 minutes. I have so much work right now I am just overwhelmed. But I know I will get through it. I will pull long hours and it will happen. I am working my ass off and I don't think anyone really knows, but that is the point right now. I cannot seem weak! I CAN get this job down AND do more. After I left I met Nicole at the same cinema and we saw "In the Wild." Sean Penn was supposed to be there for Q & A, but they said he was stuck in CA. The star of the movie was there, Emile Hirsch, and he was quite interesting to listen to. I would recommend both films. Nicole and I left and walked back to the west down 31st Street between Park and Madison. This is where I used to live. We were talking so much I completely forgot to look around. And notice the bloody windowsill where I first smoked clove cigarettes that lead to a 20 year addiction to smokes. If that kid in the window could just have done some sit ups and bought Krugerrands instead!

Home now and about to hit the hay. Another early rise and another long day, but I will get it done and have the best Thanksgiving to celebrate!

1 comment:

easca said...

OMG, the clove cigarette that lead to years of agony. I can relate oh so well. God, what a nightmare - and it's all legal. Amazing. No one should grow the shit, and I'm talking about tobacco, but clearly that doesn't stop people from lighting up...cloves. I once rolled UC dorm tea into a cigarette for a guy who was also broke and tired of bumming smokes. So, we smoked tea. It was awful.
On another note, I have read both Into the Wild and Kite Runner. I am very eager to see both. Maybe I'll be lucky and they'll end up as a double feature at the Balboa!