Thursday, November 1, 2007

Happy Birhtday, Dad.

11015 Steps


Halloween. My dad would have celebrated his 75th birthday today as my brother reminded me. Wow. It isn't that odd to be alive at 75. But at 62 he did not renew. I miss him more frequently the older I get because I get him more. And I think of so many more things we could talk about and enjoy doing together. And so often I thought, "if only he would come around." This makes me laugh as I was SO convinced I had come around when I was so closed. SO closed. I think he would have gotten me more now. We were headed that way, thank God. It is all pretty classic Cats in the Cradle stuff. When he was me he had 4 kids, a mortgage and 3 practices. He was paying 3 high school tuitions and I thought he sucked, quite often. I was 15 and probably a mess on the inside. Talk about masks!

This Irish New Yorker went to most of my basketball games, all my piping competitions, took me to amazing theatre and restaurants and even brought me to NYC to look at dance schools when I know that was not his vision. Hah. When I think of that, I know he loved me. Cannot believe I am blogging this stuff, but it is late and he is on my mind. I say no more, but that this is his birthday and I think of him often and fondly now. And I am his son living in his home town. I am proud of that. Pretty cool.

1 comment:

easca said...

I really enjoyed reading your blog about Dad. I agree with everything you said and realize now how tough parenting really is. So much sacrifice and times when you think: I signed up for THIS? Then other times you can't wait to gather up your babes in your arms and smell their sweet smell. I saw Mr. Baciocco today. He and his son still work together. They put a new dryer in our basement. I felt like saying to Sr. Baciocco that my Dad says hello. Or I heard that you'll all be at the Olympic Club for such and such dinner...But that is over and Mr. Baciocco is still alive and working. We just don't know how it will all pan out. But I am grateful for what we had.