Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Molyvos, Cymbeline and Me

One of my bestest pals Jon has a friend Paula who he has had a parallel relationship with for many, many years. It was one of those things where you always hear about the other one and for some reason never meet. We never met each other until last year in LA and had a great time. Jon felt we were ready. We hugged, we laughed, we air kissed. And Jon is a bringer-togetherer sort who doesn't have one of those "Oh my God what if they become better friends with each other" insecure issues. Very stable, that boy. Paula is in New York right now and we met for lunch today at Molyvos -a Greek restaurant on 7th AVe. between 55th and 56th. I stole out from work and had a quasi 1.5 hour lunch. It was so nice to see her and my lunch was AMAZING. I had this white bean with fennel and wild mushrooms starter and then fish that was out of this world for entree and some sublime vanilla cake with orange marmalade Greek style on top and excellent coffee. I think I will think about that place for a while. And not because it is repeating on me, but because it was so good. In fact I am thinking about it now. And to commemorate I give you a short film as the coat check lady pressed the wrong button and I had enough as I was running late to a meeting. Not a stirring piece of footage, but it commemorates our time together. And confirms that I need to go to elocution classes.

After work I met Ron at Lincoln Center to see Shakespeare's not often seen and for good reason play - Cymbeline. I am now criticizing Shakespeare?! It was an old chestnut of mistaken identity, deux ex machina and a beheading in comedy format. Martha Plimpton was really good I thought and Mrs. Huxtable was nicely understated. On the way in I heard "Patrick." It was a friend Josh who I know from LA who is a theatrical agent and had some clients in the play. Quite a small world. Ron now thinks New York is not big enough for me because I crash into people on streets, in subways and at the theatre after only 6 weeks. It is pretty funny I must say.

Tomorrow we get out at 3pm and the race is on to get it all picked up, bought and done before Brian gets here for the Thanksgiving holidays.

Today's thought from the guy who can pick apart Wm . Shakespeare: People in New York like pound cake.

No comments: