Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Dead Tissue Brought Back to Life!

7888 Steps


Okay. I am never home. I can't seem to return phone calls. I have not written nor read the great American novel and I am having the time of my life. I just need a little more of it so I can pick up my shirts from the laundry and eat food in the fridge before it spoils again. This pace is just impossible, but I continue. I need SLEEP or the bags under my eyes will have me in the $25 raffle at Trader Joes.
Went to see "Young Frankenstein" - the new Mel Brooks musical at the Hilton Theatre on 42nd Street tonight. I went with my friend Nancy and we had a great time. This was all thanks to my pal John who was not able to come from LA to see the show because of a family illness and FED EX'd the tickets to me to use when he, being an ex-Broadway star himself, knows a million people here, but he wanted me to have them as he knew I would enjoy it. And he was right. Thanks, John! You are quite a man, my friend. Thank you.

(I do have to say one thing about this photo. The sign reads "Thank you, John" and "my vision" was to have this within the theatre with the scrim with the Transylvanian mountain on it in the BG and the majesty of the theatre and all the people so John could feel "there." I had no idea, but we were halted from taking any pictures before the show. In my typical "What would Lucy do" approach to realizing my vision, I had a gorilla photo shoot plan at intermission. As you can see the whole back is black and we were still busted. Am I selfish or should I work for the Last Wish Foundation? You decide. But I got the shot. Now, John, just imagine the seats, the people, the backdrop with the mountain and me 10 lbs. lighter. Love ya. )

A great night out. YF opens tomorrow night so we got to see the last preview. It was a sold out house with a lot of spirit. I don't want to spoil it for anyone going, but I have to say that they are going to get nailed for sticking too closely to the movie. This is a hard one because so many people expect the famous lines and gags "My what knockers!" "He was my boyfriend, " hot soup etc., yet if that is what you give 'em they are no longer funny lines/gags because they are expected and simply subconsciously ticked off the list that soothes the pleasant nostalgia part of the brain. Susan, ya gotta give 'em something new. When they veered away a bit or expanded with some fun musical numbers, or the horses, that is when the show got some volts of electricity. Megan Mullally I thought was great as was Andrea Martin. Christopher Fitzgerald all but walks away with the 1st act as Igor. Excellent. Sutton Foster can yodel like an Austrian trooper.
Home now to start it all over again tomorrow. Calls, shirts, dishes, mail can wait, but not my blog!
'night.








No comments: