Sunday, November 11, 2007

Once on This Island




5273 Steps

Another relaxing, frantic Sunday in Gotham. I was able to sleep in and then awoke feeling I had no time to for anything. Got out of bed and started working on my bagpipes. I had a hose to add in the synthetic bowels of the thing and it worked like a charm once I was able to find a screwdriver. Managed to make coffee at the same time so it all came together. Met my new breakfast club in the Village for, well, breakfast.

There was no time to get back to uptown and to the park to play pipes as was my master plan. I had to leave breakfast (okay, "brunch") and start heading for dinner. This was quite a trek. My first time off the island of Manhattan since I arrived. What would I feel?

I was going to this Greater New York non-smokers dinner in West Islip, Long Island. A long story, but let's just understand there were no ashtrays anywhere. I had to meet at Nate's house, the rendezvous point in Brooklyn. His mother was up from Maryland and she was going to drive us all. My friend Sam and his girlfriend Katori and I met there and we all jumped into the auto and headed for W. Islip and the Villa Monaco Restaurant.

It was a fun evening of hearty Italian food ala The Sopranos and stories of butts and fags. An odd stew for those not "of that ilk." It was my first time meeting Sam's girlfriend and she was a delight. She has her first play running off-Broadway at the Cherry Lane Theatre no less. This theatre is steeped in history from Beckett to Shepard. The play is called "Hoodoo Love" and I am going to try and catch it when I have a free night.

Sam, Katori and I made our way back to Manhattan from Brooklyn and I got home in time to get to bed. Another weekend passed/past and a whole week of LIFE ahead.

No comments: