Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Folks Vegan


I just had the most wonderful evening tonight. Totally unexpected. A few days ago I was asked if I wanted to complete a foursome for dinner since someone cancelled. It was 3 people from work and I thought it would be nice to say yes and go. I am so glad I did.




Here is what it was, where it was and this is what I ate: ( I'll meet up with you after you have read it.)





THE HEALTHY HEDONIST HOLIDAYS:
A Year of Multi-Cultural, Vegetarian-Friendly Feasts
with author & guest chef MYRA KORNFELD &
ROMAN ROTH, sustainable Long Island winemaker





GOLDEN SQUASH & CHICKPEA SOUP WITH ROASTED CHICKPEA NUTS



NATIVE AMERICAN POLENTA CASSEROLE.
ancho-mole sauce, pumpkin seed pesto, cippolline en agrodulce & beer-braised brussel sprouts.



GREEN LEAF SALAD WITH CRISPY SHALLOT & POMEGRANATE-MOLASSES VINAIGRETTE.



ROASTED RED PEPPER, ALMOND, SESAME SEED PESTO & PITA CRISPS.
CARAMELIZED APPLE-PEAR CRISP

COUNTER. earthfriendly WINE. bistro. BAR.
105 first avenue
212.982.5870
www.counternyc.com
November 28, 2007





Seems the ladies I was with have all taken a cooking class from her. Well, the food was amazing. Really good. We even got her latest cookbook to take home with us: The Healthy Hedonist Holidays.





When we walked in, the 6:30pm seating was pretty full and this guy yelled at me from a table "Finally. Another man!" I had no idea what he meant until I looked around the room and noticed it was 98% women. No meat, no men? That is the way it seemed. I was expecting Joan Baez and Bella Abzug to say something. (Except one of them is dead, I know.)





I had a great time getting to know my colleagues in a more informal setting over dinner. That was a treat. And we talked about all sorts of things including Marica's connections with most of the famous Gloria's: Steinam, Swanson, Estefan, Gaynor. It was an amazing run of Gloria zero-degrees she had. We also discussed that if someone says to you about someone else "S/he's smart." it usually means they are covering up something that they are not.





I really enjoyed the soup, salad and the dessert. The entree was good, but just not mind-blowing to me. I do think polenta is the new carb replacement. It is so (oh God I am going to say it. NOOOOOO!!!) "Versatile."





Our dinner was in the way hip and cool East Village. 3 of us walked through NOLITA and the Village to catch the subway up town. We passed buildings with historical plaques, the Ukrainian Museum, cool coffee houses and small boutiques. And it was all cool and not "precious." I like that about New York.





One the subway home Katie inched away thinking the guy sitting across the train on the opposing bench had a "bucket of vomit" next to him. I looked at this guy (and I am the new guy in town) and he looked pretty together. And where she saw a "bucket of vomit" I saw a Tupperware with olive oil and some feta. He had clearly just had a salad. I asked her if she usually sees the young woman or the old crone.





I have to say I am getting to an age where sharing good food with people has to be one of the rewards for living.

No comments: