Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Roma Oggi



At first I thought Paris made Rome look like Mexico (sorry), but after wandering and wandering today Rome made me forget Paris altogether.  For every Romulus there is a Remus and for every Castor there is a Pollux. And for every nook there is a cranny.  It is an orgy of the senses this place.  Sure there are the major sites, but over here is where Julius Cesar was killed on 15 March:



And here in Santi Vincenzo e Anastasio is where the is a listing of Popes on the wall in the apse where they had pieces of their heart (praecodia) enshrined behind the wall until party pooper Pius X put and end to the shenanigans. 





Today Rome has me.  It has me body and soul. I gave myself over to this city today and it walked me until I could feel the souls of my shoes wasting away and it spat me out at case David and whispered, "You haven't even scratched the surface."

No comments: