Saturday, February 14, 2009

Je t'aime New York!!!! Je t'aime!!!

Wow! I had such a great Valentine's Day and there was no special person involved, just a LOT of special people. It was a FANTASTIC day!!

First off I got this great card from my sister Seona:


Then my most wonderful landords gave me a heart-shaped bounty of strawberries and raspberries crowned with mint leaves. How fantastic. I was so touched. AND it was on my diet to boot!


I got up in the morning and cleaned my bathroom and kitchen and swept the floors. I had not been able to do this before. Really showing signs of getting well. I was so sick of the sick-bay look of my place withe medicine bottles all over and dust and mess. So now I have a place that feels so much better.

I then went to the gym for a good workout. I dressed in a coat and tie and walked across the park to the Harmonie Club at 60th and Park Avenue. Posh. I was meeting my friend Ellie and her family there for lunch to celebrate her birthday. (Her 85th birthday. You would never know it with her energy and youthful looks. Wow. There is something in the water here. I hope I drink it.)




The Harmonie Club was built in the 1800s and is the second oldest social club in New York City. It is a beautiful place. The dining room has HIGH ceilings all wood paneled with carvings. The ceiling has gold leaf. Waiters were in tuxes and tie was required for us gentlemen. Swelligant! We had such a good time and the lunch was superb.

Then it was around the corner to 59E59 Theatre to see "Terre Haute" a play about a fictitious meeting between a Gore Vidal type and an Oklahoma bomber Timothy McVeigh type. I had no expectations, but it was excellent. A lot to chew on. Really this great discussion about conviction, intellect, passion and rage. I was so into it. As Ellie's daughter Mary said, "I could sit through it agian." And restless me felt the same way.

I walked back across Central Park to the westside and chatted with my friend Marian in Los Angeles. What a great visit we had while I got to look at horse and carriages, frozen lakes and bridges and beautiful barren trees.

At night I met with a friend for coffee and then went to this odd Valentine's cabaret put on by the Unitarian Church on the westside. It was an amateur showcase, and I can appreciate that, but I just could not get into its blend of drag, Janis Joplin, camp, gaiety and straight parents and children. I thought I was more progressive! A theme for another play, I guess. I left at intermission and happily walked home. Alone. By the majestic Museum of Natural History.

I am so grateful to be getting well and being able to engage in life again. For those of you who have not tried it, it is fantastic!

1 comment:

Cathy Lin said...

congratulations then :)
for your new begining of life