Monday, February 16, 2009

He lifts. He blows!

Today was kind of a breakthrough. I went back to bagpipe band practice.

A few days prior I was able to get a peep out of my practice chanter (the much quieter recorder-like thing that one uses to practice bagpipe music indoors!) I had not been able to make a sound previously because the left side of my face being frozen. So now I am getting back into the band.

In the movie version, Brad Pitt grabs his dusty practice chanter reluctantly off his desk while his friends encourage him. He says some line like "You don't know what it is like having a half frozen face and no job. What do I care about this thing anymore?" He is egged on. There is an unexplained wide-eyed child looking angelically up at Brad. He takes his chanter to his lips and blows. There is silence and then a huge cinematic cheer. Brad smiles and a tear roles down his face. He has made a peep.

So anyway... I went to practice up in the Bronx. It was good to see the guys again. We played around the table. I was able to hang in there until I began to sputter. But it is progress!

No comments: