Thursday, February 5, 2009

Job Circles


This evening I went to this event at this church I have been going to. It was a Job Hunting support group thingy. A place where people gather in yet another circle of chairs and talk about what they are looking for out there. I imagine these will be popping up all over soon.

As I do with all support groups or events I decided immediately that I should not be there and these people are, well, loser-ish. This is not really a comment on them as much as it is a defense mechanism on my part. And, as always, if I stay I get something out of it.

But I did feel like I was in the "Friends of the Friendless" from that classic "I Love Lucy" episode.

We talked around the room for 2 hours on what is going on. People are really struggling and work is drying up. And bills and taxes are waiting. It is SO REAL.

My metro card ran out of cash and the bus does not take bills so I had to go down the aisle asking if anyone had change for a dollar. Very brother can you spare a dime, but I was offering a crisp bill in return.

This all will pass and even if I am under a bridge, I will get out from under that bridge at some point.

No comments: