Friday, February 20, 2009

East Meets West

I e-mailed my friend Basil to see if he wanted to meet for coffee.

He said YES.

Good.


He lives in the East Village and I live on the Upper West Side.

IN a Village. ON a Side.

I guess that is how it works. These two points are worlds apart in distance and in spirit. He is way cooler. But I have Central Park.


We meet at Tarallucci e Vino on 18th just off of Union Square. I love going down to that area and I love that venue. As I have said before on this blog it is this oasis of a place away from the hubbub with good food and a great setting and, at lunch, it is really reasonable for all the beauty you get.


It was so good to see Basil. We met working at Sundance Film Festival and until recently he ran Newfest here in in New York. A really nice and sound guy. With a mischievous twinkle. It was good for me to get out and chat to someone about work and life and just get it going again after being so ill. I hope that maybe we can help each other out. It is good to have friends on your team. It was also fun to get his take on New York and dating. What a hoot. Maybe some of it is painfully true, but I just don't want to accept it yet.


As the months move forward I want to meet loads of people for coffee. Maybe do a Friends for Coffee blog. Not too original, I am certain, but the exercise is good because if we don't call each other up, er, e-mail each other, it will be 6 months to a year on this tiny island afore we meet again.

No comments: