Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Are You KIDDING Me?


I overheard a guy talking to another guy saying, "Yeah it's a long weekend." And I thought he meant he had a lot to do, like, to cram in this weekend. And then the other guy (we are on an elevator) says, "Thank God, I need it." And I am thinking he doesn't wish this guy a hellish weekend and why would he need it to be hellish for himself? Then I realized: "Oh my God, this is one of those three day weekends working people look forward to like an oasis."

And then my panic deepened when I scrambled to come up with the actual name of this three day weekend for the check-receiving crowd. "MLK Day? No, that has come and gone as it was Obama's Eve this year." "Memorial Day? No, silly, you know that is the end of May because you stood in a kilt in the hot sun blowing bagpipes at the Costa Mesa Highland Games for years while civilians BBQ'd and surfed." I realized before we hit the ground that it was President's Day.

Am I THAT out of touch with the working man that I do not even know there is a three day weekend afoot? The answer is yes.

I walked through Rockefeller Center a few weeks back and saw all these people in business clothes moving at hectic paces throughout the labyrinth that is that place. There were people in suits queuing up at the Subway sandwich shop to get a lunch to bring back to their desks. I looked at them like I was in a Working People's Zoo and they were in cages and I was behind a metal rail.

Am I so far detached from being part of the working world that I never see workers and don't know when their 3 day celebrations happen?

Oh my God, YES!!!!

Let' s hope I can be a drone with a costume on and an income REAL soon. I don't just need a check, I need a reality check.

No comments: