Saturday, February 21, 2009

Dancing As Fast As I Can


Last night I watched "Jerome Robbins - Something to Dance About" on PBS. This guy choreographed "West Side Story", "Gyspy" , "Peter Pan" - you name it. He also had a huge career in the ballet - very rare for someone to cross over from musical theatre to classical so well. He was a genius and a tyrant. The usual.

Just watching this program made me once again realize how much I love/loved dance. Little known fact was it was all I cared about. I wanted to be a dancer more than anything, but I could not be a gay dancer. I had to be a boozing, womanizing Bob Fosse dancer. The rub.

I was provisionally accepted to Julliard's dance program, I made an off-Broadway show when I was 18 and I ran out of auditions in front of Michael Bennett for the road company of "A Chorus Line."

There. Whew.

So I sat here in my ample 40s on the couch and watched this guy's career unfold. I could feel the itch and I scratched it today by taking an Afro-Jazz class at the Westside Y. It was a blast to be barefoot in front of the mirror and working it. She really worked us and I loved it. A woman in the class said "You have obviously had some training" and I lapped it up like a starving kitten.

Tonight I topped it off by going to The New York City Ballet at Lincoln Center. I got the $20 nose bleed ticket and saw two Balanchine pieces and a newer piece. With full orchestra in tuxes. All for one ATM blurt! Good value.

Jerome Robbins was a co-founding choreographer of the New York City Ballet.

Itch scratched.

1 comment:

Criticlasm said...

oh, I love that theater so much for some reason.

So glad you scratched it. Watched the Red Shoes again this weekend--so good.