Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Chico and the Drunk Man


The other night I got off the B train at 81st Street. It was quiet on the platform save for me and this guy who said, "Excuse me man, I fell asleep on the train and missed my stop. How can I get to the other side?" I told him to follow me and I would get him going in the right direction no problem. He then pointed at a flask in his pocket and said he had a little "drinkie" tonight and that was why he missed his stop. I turned to look at him and then the vertigo kicked in something awful and in order not to fall onto the tracks I held on to one of the steel girders on the platform to steady myself. And my drunk friend said, "Seems like you had a little drinkie yourself tonight!"

My staggering with alcohol days are over, but this vertigo has made me feel somewhat nostalgic! Glad I can still relate to the down and soused.

No comments: